Friday, August 3

Bridges Are Scary

I know that a lot of bloggers are writing about that awful bridge collapse in Minnesota. If you haven't seen it go click the link for a very chilling security video showing what happened. It all went down within seconds.

Never mind the fact that officials were warned in the 1990s that there were problems with this bridge and that it was considered unsafe. Never mind the fact that state governments keep underfunding the fixing of highways and bridges. The loss of life and the injuries caused to the people is just beyond comprehension. It's my worst nightmare. What went through the minds of those people as they went crashing down into the Mississippi River?

I have a fear of driving over bridges and I have to admit one of the reasons I have such panic attacks is because I think: what if? What if this bridge collapses as I'm going over it and I plunge down 60 or 100 feet or whatever into the cold water below? What will I do--if I even survive?

Now I am more afraid of going over bridges than ever--especially now that I read that so many of our bridges are unsafe. There are two bridges not far from where I live that have unsafe ratings.

And planning to avoid the big bridges won't help. There are bridges everywhere in disrepair and some of them don't go over water, they go over other highways or what have you.

Meantime, I pray for the people killed and injured, the survivors and the rescuers too.

1 comment:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Bridges are even scarier when the news report says most of PA's bridges aren't structurely sound. Scary thing.

Dad's home from the hospital and doing fine. They never could find out what caused him to pass out.

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over