Thursday, December 17

Thursday Thirteen #43: Favorite Christmas music in versions I enjoy a lot


Thursday Thirteen


We have two stations playing Christmas and holiday music 24/7. You know what? They're playing the same songs by the same people hour after hour. If I hear "It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas" by Perry Como, "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby or "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" by Bruce Springsteen one more time I swear I will pull over and start screaming. I've started playing classic rock again because I'm sick of the same old song replayed over and over. I know there's only so much music out there but ... there are different versions and there are other tracks on the holiday DVDs. They just don't do radio like they used to. Remember the days of "deep tracks"?

Anyway, this Thursday, I decided to go with my favorite Christmas music either in unusual versions or by different artists we don't hear ad nauseum on these holiday-music-only stations. I left out the titles that I am completely sick of, LOL.

1. Christmas Canon Rock by The Trans Siberian Orchestra


2. Hallelujah Chorus by the Johann Strauss Orchestra and Harlem Gospel Choir



3. Stille Nacht (Silent Night) by St. Thomas Boys Choir
Silent Night was originally German! I remember that from a Disney movie years and years ago!



4. Carol of the Bells by Celtic Woman


5. O Holy Night by Mariah Carey



6. Adeste Fidelis by Andrea Bocelli

I like music sung in their original languages!



7. Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth by Bing Crosby & David Bowie

I saw this special when it originally aired! It was the last Bing Crosby Christmas special and it had a bittersweet air to it. Also, what a pairing! The aging, traditional crooner and the up and coming, off beat rock star!



8. Happy Christmas/War is Over by John Lennon



9. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Mannheim Steamroller



10. Joy to the World by The Trans Siberian Orchestra



11. The First Noel by Celtic Woman



12. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas by Judy Garland

No one sings it like her and I don't hear this version very much any more!



13. What Christmas Means to Me by Stevie Wonder

5 comments:

Calico Crazy said...

What great versions of some of my favorite Christmas songs, thanks for sharing. ~ Calico Contemplations

Journeywoman said...

I LOVE TSO!!!

I did Christmas Carols too--including a similar one of Silent night.

Heather said...

You've posted some beautiful versions of these songs, but if you like songs in their original language, you need to ditch "O Holy Night" for "Cantique de Noel" (also sometimes known as "Minuit Chretien"). People used to come from all over France to hear this performed on Christmas Eve at Notre Dame cathedral. Andrea Bocelli has an excellent rendition on his new CD, My Christmas.

Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...

Beautiful!! Celtic Women is one of my favorites.

Happy Holidays
Iris

Gattina said...

I don't know what happens this year, but I haven't heard one single Christmas song in shops or on the radio ! So I am pleased to let your blog open and listen to the songs. Silent Night in German is a part of my childhood and of my son's too and we still sing it under the Christmas tree before opening the gifts !

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over