Monday, June 18

My Cup Runneth Over

I'm listening to yahoo--hits of 1967--to relax after a very hectic day. I haven't heard this song in such a long time. It's sung by Ed Ames and he has or had such a lovely voice! 1967 was the "summer of love" but I remember listening to a lot of music by singers like Ed Ames. One of my favorite songs was "My Cup Runneth Over With Love".

I could say I feel that way sometimes. It helps when I have a crappy day to remember that.

Yesterday was a nice relaxing Father's Day. We'd decided to go to Outback Steak House for dinner and I'd made reservations several days ahead of time. I told him there would be 7 in our party and the guy said, "You guys can sit at a booth?" I said I thought so but that we're mostly big people so if we could get a table that would be better.

When we all arrived, it was very crowded. Tomas was entranced with the doors as usual and didn't like being in the crowded lobby. His dad thought it would be a good idea to go back outside to hang out but Linda went out after them. She figured she wouldn't know how to find them when we got called. See...there was a list of people who'd made reservations. And the wait if you hadn't made a reservation was 2-1/2 hours!

So Linda carried Tomas in, kicking and screaming. Nothing seemed to calm him down so Kennan took his hand and led him to the men's room. Meantime, we were squeezed into a booth. Yeesh. The smallest people were Kennan and Tomas and I looked at the teeny amount of space left after the rest of us hefties squeezed in and I wondered how they'd fit.

We figured we'd make it work though and we did have a very nice dinner.

There was a very down side to it all though. Some man came into the men's room and said loudly if that was his child he'd beat the crap out of him for acting like an animal. It was all Kennan could do to keep his composure.

Acting like an animal.

Why are some people so damn ignorant?

I've read that one of the problems kids with autism and PDD have is that all sensory input comes into their brains at once and they have trouble screening stuff out. I was a little on edge with the crowd and noise--what was it like for Tomas? I wish I had that guy in front of me now because I'd like to give him a smack in the face. How's that for acting like an animal?

But like I said, that was the only down side. Otherwise, the food was great and the company too!

No comments:

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over