Thursday, November 15

Low Sugar Shakes

Now that I'm taking glucovance, sometimes I get an episode of hypoglycemia--low sugar. Usually it happens between breakfast and lunch so now I try to make sure I have some carbs with my morning meal. If you've ever experienced a low sugar episode, you know how yucky it feels. The experts will say, it's important not to panic. Just try telling that to a body that suddenly goes into freak-out mode.

That happened to me last night. I don't know why because I'd had carbs with dinner and Linda made banana bread. Around 9, I began to feel shaky and dizzy. My face began flaming and the room started to spin. I didn't think it could be a low blood sugar episode because of what I'd eaten but decided to double check and make sure. My reading was 57 and I knew I needed to do something. I think if you go below 75 then you need to bring your sugar up.

If I catch it in time, I can chew one sugar tablet and I'm fine. I took two and I knew I should wait 15 minutes and retest but my body was going into flight-or-fight panic mode and I reached for a box of fiber one oat & peanut butter bars thinking I'll eat just one. One bar has 28 grams of carbs, 9 of fiber and 9 of sugar. The next thing I knew I'd eaten all 5.

I'm paying for it now. My sugar shot up higher than it should have and that is the downside to panicking. The other downside is that all that fiber is wreaking havoc on my body! I'm not used to so much in such a short period of time.

Update on TB: Physical therapy isn't helping. He seems to be worse, in fact, and so he's not going today. We'll have to look for a pain management center that will give him the steroid epidural and maybe then we can look at therapy again. The other bad thing is that he's developing problems with his shoulder and elbow again and that is the last thing he needs! I'm worried about him.

No comments:

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over