Monday, February 18

Man Cat Monday: Heeeeeere's Cubby!

We've been having increasing Cubby sightings all week but yesterday was the first time I tried taking pictures of him. He's been so shy that I didn't want the flashies scaring him. He's been through enough trauma and I wanted him to feel more comfortable with us first.

A little bit about the Cubster: According to medical records, he's going to be 9 years old this year. So he and Indigo and maybe even Kosmo are about the same age. He is blind in his left eye. I'm not sure what happened there. When his first mommy adopted him, he was already blind. I think that understandably contributes to him being skittish. He's been through a lot with his best bud Sox. First their mommy dies and son has to go back to college. They live in their house for a while with well meaning neighbors and friends coming to feed them but after Cubby is accidentally locked into a room for a couple of days, the beans all realize the cats are not safe being alone. And so they are brought to the Animal Sanctuary, a kind place but one totally different than the home they've known. And then the come here, another home with loving beans but, again, totally different. It's going to take a while for this little guy.

The first few nights, he came out only after TB and I were sleeping. He'd play with and explore our room with Sox. With each night that passed, he ventured out more and pretty soon everyone in the family would see him around the house for just a moment or two as he streaked by.

He seems to get along fine with the other cats. I noticed, though, that when I make eye contact with him or speak his name softly he'd run and hide. So when he'd come out, I would try to watch discreetly and didn't speak and he became braver about staying out and roaming further.

After 11 days, I thought I'd try taking some pictures from afar. Thank goodness for zoom lenses, eh? Some pictures are kind of blurry as I tried to take them quickly.


Cubby ventures out from under the bed Sunday morning.

A fleeting flash as he leaves his box. He says, Mmpfh, don't take pictures of me when I'm peeing please!

Ah now this is better. What a handsome boy you are, Cubby!

The zoom lens is a wonderful thing!

What's Cubby looking at? Probably one or more of the gang frolicking in the living room!

Why is the food gone?

Could it have anything to do with throwing it on the floor with your paws, Cubby?

Ah, that's better!

Kosmo says, Hmpfh, I remember when I used to be the star of the show!

Don't worry, Kosmo, you're still a star in our eyes!

Poll Update: Amber and Mouse are running neck and neck with 38% each; Sox has 25%. Who will win? Or will it be a tie?

More cat blogging? Be sure to check out Man Cat Monday and Blogging Cat Noos!

6 comments:

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Cubby is a handsome fellow! He and Sox have had a rough life! Poor guys. They are very lucky that you took them in and they now have a wonderful Forever Home. :)

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Hi Cubby & the rest of the cats in your household. This is our first time visiting your blog. We are glad you & Sox found a forever home, and that the other cats welcomed you into it.

Scylla, Charybdis & Socks

Mr. Tigger in Cat-Lands said...

Hey Cubby, Kosmo, Mouse and Sox...
Welcome to the M-Cats Club. I'll add you to the Membership right away! I just need a head shot of each of you for your M-Cats Badges. Send it to mr tigger9 (at) g mail (dot) com. Thanks for joining!!
Mr. Tigger

Tybalt said...

Cubby is a handsome mancat! I hope he gets more used to things soon. I'd love to see more of him!

Donny and Marie and Casey said...

Hello Cubby!! I get really shy around pple except with mommy and daddy. So...it's great to hone those "drive-by kitty" skills...just remember that you don't need to do that with mommy and daddy!

~DOnny

Just Sharlene and the Spice Cats said...

Cubby is a handsome cat. How is Cubby getting along with the other cats? I hope all goes well.

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over