Tuesday, March 4

Tuesday Memes

Some days of the week, there are lots of fun memes! Tuesday is one of them!

Heads or Tails #28

List seven of your favorite authors

1. Stephen King
2. Diana Gabaldon
3. Dean Koontz
4. George R. R. Martin
5. Amy Tan
6. Mary McGarry Morris
7. Fannie Flagg

Ten on Tuesday

10 Favorite Drinks

1. Coffee
2. Ice/cold water
3. diet cherry Coke
4. lemonade
5. iced tea
6. diet vanilla Coke or Pepsi
7. Cran-blueberry juice
8. Cran-grape juice
9. Root beer float
10. Strawberry smoothie


Topical Tuesday


Topic :: Holiday Memories

This week we are discussing our most favourite holiday memories. Your post objective is to write about a memory from a holiday that you remember most strongly or perhaps even a disastrous holiday. It can be any kind of holiday (Christmas, Hanukkah, Easter, Summer, random time off work and other responsibilities, etc.) so it’s totally up to you.


My very first strong memory of a holiday is Thanksgiving and dinner at my Grandma's. I have a picture of the family taken in 1958 or 1959 and we fill up the entire room. I'm sitting in a high chair. Obviously, that's not the one I remember because I was just a baby but it did bring back warm memories. That year, my grandparents still lived in their huge house on Smith Avenue.

My memory is of Thanksgiving in the early 1960s, before JFK's assassination. By then, my grandparents moved to a small cottage but you don't lose tradition because of space. One of the nicest things about my young growing up years is that I was completely surrounded by family. All the aunts and uncles and cousins would come to Grandma's for dinner and that year was no different.

My grandparents set up a series of dining tables from the entrance to the kitchen nearly to the front door. The children got to sit at card tables. That year, I think there were 20 of us in that little cottage. It was the best Thanksgiving ever not just because Grandma was a terrific cook but because we were all together and happy. After dinner, all of us kids went out to play in Grandma's backyard and take turns swinging in her hammock.

These days, family members are scattered around the country. Some years, we have just 5 people around our table. We have a wonderful time andit's good to be together but I really do miss the large family gatherings. And so it goes.

6 comments:

storyteller said...

I’m a Koontz & King fan … and I love Diana Gabaldon’s books! Coffee made #2 on my list … I drink it every morning.
Hugs and blessings,

Barb said...

Oh gosh.. how could I have forgotten Fannie Flagg??????

I don't see you on the blogroll, so I'm adding you now. :)

therapy in the making said...

That sounds lovely. I'm glad you shared this memory with us. We don't have big family gatherings like that in my family any more either. It makes me a little sad when I think about it but things change and they can always change back, right? :)

Hootin Anni said...

Ohhhhh, I'm drooling on your 10 for Tuesday list now that you added a root beer float. Yummy.

Hope you can drop by and give me a big'o' "howdy"!!!

Yoshi said...

I'm a big GRRM fan. I'm highly waiting the latest book, dance of dragons! I hope he finally gets around to publishing it!

Thanks for sharing your holiday memories! My family has never had a really large gathering of family. But we've been known to have large gatherings of friends during some holidays.

Unknown said...

The cran-blueberry sounds like a good combo. I might have to try that one!

Happy Tuesday!

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over