Saturday, July 19

Exercising...or anything else...with depression

I got another one of those articles in my mailbox today. You know, one of those "just DO it" ones. This one addressed exercising when you are depressed. I wondered if the author knows anything about trying to do anything when you are depressed. The article just made me feel more depressed. I feel very inadequate.

I know I need to exercise. When I saw the title, I hoped that it was a miracle article, something that would have just the right words to help me get motivated. This is what it said.

When you're already depressed, exercising may be the last thing you want to do--even when you know it can help you. So how do you get started, when simple things like taking a shower, getting dressed in the morning, or doing the dishes seem like more than you can handle?

The answer is: Just do it! The issue here isn't whether or not you can muster up the willpower to make yourself exercise--it's about giving yourself a fair chance to see if it can actually help you.


Just do it? Thanks. How did I not think of that? I must be an idiot. No, seriously, I can't say how many days I've said to myself, just get up and do it and then felt totally drained of energy to the point of being unable to get up. Maybe that sounds ridiculous to some people but it really does happen. And then I bash myself for being unable to get up.

The article then goes on to suggest ways to get the most out of your exercise program.

1. I'm supposed to talk to the doctor. Yes, the guy who barely has fifteen minutes to talk to me. He's the one that's already in a hurry to get going and nods and says yes, yes, exercise would be beneficial, any exercise would be...like I'm some kind of dolt or something. And if I tell the doctor how hard it is to get going, yes, yes, I know, it's very hard, just do the best you can. Yeah, that helps.

2. I should find activities I enjoy. Well, I must be a witless wonder to need to be told this. Of course they have to be something I enjoy. If I didn't, why would I do them?

3. I should create a plan B ahead of time so that when I am unable to get up and move, I can put this second plan into effect. And what would plan B entail? Oh, it could be an exercise buddy (I don't have any friends nearby) or exercises I could do at home (they're the ones I'm trying to do in the first place).

4. I should plan for setbacks. Plan for them? I can't even get myself going. I'm already set back!

I guess I just sound like a whiny crybaby with this post. I can't seem to get my act together to do anything lately. I'm overwhelmed by simple chores like cleaning out the fridge or changing the kitty litter. I'm also overwhelmed by things I used to enjoy, like emailing and blogging. If I can't even do that things I enjoy, how am I ever going to get my mind around exercising?

1 comment:

JEWELGIRL said...

Hi I have 2 awards for you at
http://www.sandwichedmom.blogspot.com
for the kind things you have written
Come visit Aniwa after her spay
surgery, she's doing well! :)

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over