Wednesday, September 1

First day of class for the women folk!

College started for my daughters and me this morning. This was a first for the youngest and she was excited. Apparently so was I because I woke up at 4:30 and couldn't get back to sleep! My older daughter isn't here because she's got a class now on one of the campuses.

So this is the first time I'm back in a classroom in over 10 years. I didn't quite finish my associate's because I got hung up on geometry. Thankfully, I don't need to have taken it to get my associate's here. I only needed algebra and I passed that with an A.

My classes today: college math and earth science (and lab). I think I will like all three of the classes and there are even 2 mature students (meaning older, like me) in the science class.

Two of the teachers had a rough start. Our math teacher didn't have any of her hand outs because of some kind of moving crisis. Our science teacher didn't have a syllabus or any handouts because who ever is doing the xeroxing is totally backed up. The science teacher was also late because she was given the wrong room and apparently didn't realize we're also meeting on Friday.

In the lab, we reviewed information about latitude and longitude. Sigh. In the good old days, teachers released us early on the first day of class to get our books. Not anymore! Now everyone wants to keep you until the last minute.

I had ten minutes to get from class to class and no time to eat today. That'll only happen on Wednesdays. On Mondays and Fridays I'll have a two hour break between math and science to eat lunch and go for a walk.

Would you eat a bowl of live crickets for $40,000? Explain why or why not? Yes, I would although I'd try to hold out for as much money as possible. Think of all the things I could do with $40,000! If the kids were out of school, that would be plenty to put down on a smaller house for TB and me. If not that, it would buy us a brand new car. If not that, we could have a lavish vacation cruise and another vacation somewhere else. That money sure would come in handy! Make me a legitimate offer and I'll eat those darn things all right!

Between the ages of 5 and 10, what was your favorite activity? I would say playing outdoor games with friends and cousins. I remember one game I played with neighbors and my friends on the next street. It was based on the TV series Combat and I had to play Sergeant Saunders. I had something of a crush on the actor, Vic Morrow, and I was a real tomboy so I could play the part. We also played other games of war and then I always wanted to be a John Wayne character. Other fun games included tag, freeze tag, Red Rover, Mother May I, Red Light Green Light, and many more. I can't remember the names of all the games I played as a child. Bring back the good old days!

Where do you keep it the rest of the year? Write about something that comes out of storage whenever a certain holiday rolls around. That would be our Christmas decorations! They are kept packed in boxes and those boxes are stored in our attic until the day after Thanksgiving. Then it's time to bring them out and decorate the house! We enjoy the decorations for six weeks and then it's time to pack them up again!

No comments:

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over