Tuesday, August 14

A Rant: Deplorable Lack of Health Insurance!

The other day I wrote that T's dad cut his hand badly and used super glue to "fix" it. Why did he do that? He has no health insurance! This is a young man with diabetes and a bad back who works hard at least six days a week sometimes in the worst weather conditions. He said to me, he could take care of it at home or have to spend $600 in the emergency room. He doesn't have that kind of money. He pays child support every week, right on time, and has other financial obligations. I think he could qualify for state assistance but when I've suggested it, he's just shrugged it off. I am sure I know why: he is too proud to take a "hand out", especially with the way clients are treated by the employees, like they're dirt or lazy beggars.

I know that what is happening to Kennan is happening everywhere in this country. This is the United States of America! I feel a great deal of shame when I think about how many Americans (and veterans especially!) have no homes, no insurance...how can that happen here?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post is very interesting. Poor guy! sometimes I think that if I was a Multimilliardaire and see that human persons are in such situation it would a pleasure to help all these people who are so serious and in a big need.

Hootin Anni said...

*ahem* ---Stepping up on the podium to voice my thoughts:

"I love my country, it's the government that sucks"

*stepping down now.*

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over