Wednesday, February 27

13 Books I'd Like To Read Next (TT#9)

I'm posting my TT this evening because tomorrow is going to be another crazy day. By this time tomorrow night, I hope to get around and visit other TT'ers. First up in the morning is going with TB to the hospital for his colonoscopy. I need to drive him home because he'll have been sedated--although if he had his way, he'd be awake and taking pictures! After that are more doctor appointments. Yeesh.

This is an easy TT because I have about 240 books on my to-be-read shelves to choose from. Anyway, here goes.


Thirteen Books I Want To Read From My TBR Shelves


1. Moloka'i by Alan Brennert. Ever since I read Hawaii years ago, I've been fascinated and appalled by the idea that the lepers were treated so brutally. I wanted to learn more about what happened.

2. Ninety Minutes In Heaven by Don Piper is about a man who was killed in an accident--at least for 90 minutes, anyway. I've also always been intrigued with the hereafter thanks to John Edward. I thought Embraced By The Light was fascinating and am interested to learn of this man's experiences.

3. Saving Fish From Drowining by Amy Tan. I've had the book sitting there for a long time and she is one of my favorite authors.

4. Daniel Isn't Talking by Marti Leimbech is about a little boy with autism and I'm interested in reading it soon because, obviously, of Little T

5. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is another book that I've had for a long time. I enjoy learning about different cultures and countries and what better way for me to learn than by reading?

6. Don't Eat This Book by Morgan Spurlock, the man who made the film Supersize Me!. The book's about the "supersizing of America" a.k.a. fast food!

7. Sudden Sea: The Great Hurricane of 1938 by R.A. Scotti. This is the unnamed hurricane that reshaped Long Island if I remember my history right and I wanted to learn more about it

8. Irish History For Dummies by Mike Cronin. I want to learn more about where my ancestors came from!

9. Unlocking the Meaning of Lost by Lynnette Porter--yes, the show is indeed an obsession for me!

10. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. I want to read some classics as well as non fiction. When I took American Lit in college, I remember enjoying Hurston's short stories. I never read this book, it's about time.

11. Kim by Rudyard Kipling. I thought it was about time I read this book too. I remember seeing and enjoying the movie.

12. The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Well...I guess if I'm going to read about fast food I might as well also read the book that led to the creation of the FDA way back when.

13. No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. Hey, the movie version won the Academy Award and usually the book is better, right?

Happy TT everyone!



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



14 comments:

colleen said...

Try "How the Irish Saved Civilizaton" by Thomas Cahill. It was on the best seller list for a while and I loved it. Have you read Angeles Ashes?

I'm sorry such a violent movie won Best Picture.

Janet said...

I just recently finished The Kite Runner and LOVED it. It really did show an amazing insight into that culture. I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns now :-)

Thanks for visiting!

Karen Jo said...

That is a really interesting list of books you want to read soon. I hope you enjoy all of them.

muffinmidi said...

Hi! I'm Tracy, Fat Cat Muffin's mother.The Hurston book is wonderful. It's about a girl coming of age and embracing her community. I'd also recommend the Cahill book Colleen suggested. It's a great history of the early Irish.I want to read the Scotti book, as I grew up in the part of Connecticut that was impacted by the 38 storm and heard a lot of horror stores about it.
Good luck with your husband's colonoscopy tomorrow.Those are never fun.
PS Muffy looks lie Cubby.

Forgetfulone said...

#2 and #5 are also on my list from a few weeks ago. They do say the book is better than the movie, so I think I also want to read No Country,

Gattina said...

All titles are saying nothing to me, if the books have been translated into french then probably the titles have changed. English books are very difficult to get here.

Hootin Anni said...

#5, I've read. And I loved it. It was heart breaking, it was warm, it was a learning experience, it was a lot of life all rolled into pages! I hear his 2nd book is even better, but I haven't bought it yet and plan to.

If you haven't stopped by my T-13 yet, I have made thirteen new headers for everyone who wants them...just click on 'em and save 'em for yourself if you'd like!! Happy Thursday.

Sparky Duck said...

The wife loved Molokai and I have that Lost book for my obssessed wife as well

Darla said...

My TBR pile is *wincing* about twice that. The Kite Runner is in mine, too, but who knows when I'll get to it?

Sarai said...

Amy Tan is one of my favorites as well!
Have a great 13 TT and thanks for stopping by!

Daisy said...

My Mommie read The Kite Runner and she said it was excellent!

Mercy's Maid said...

#5 is excellent! Move it up on your "to be read" list if you can. :)

kuanyin333 said...

Looks like you've got some good reading ahead! Happy TT!

Nicholas said...

I haven't read any of this except Kim, many, many years ago.

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over