Saturday, March 15

Sisters

I didn't have one. When I watched my cousins Anne and Edith together, I used to wish for a sister. I'm glad I have just a brother though. Remember this one?



Anne and Edith knew it by heart and used to sing it. Maybe being 12 years apart was a plus in their relationship.

My daughters are 3-1/2 years apart. The first 13 or 14 years of their live together they fought. Heidi, the elder, usually came out on top until Kristin began a growth spurt around 12. She began to hit back and all of a sudden a lot of the fighting stopped--but not the arguing.

Sometimes they get along great. When they fight, though, look out!

Kristin is in a snit for something that happened yesterday. For whatever reason, Heidi was having a serious meltdown and TB and I weren't able to calm her. In fact she said something really nasty to TB which we didn't hear but Kristin did. Kristin went out and yelled at Heidi who got in her car and drove off in a huff. A few minutes later, though, Heidi came back to apologize and then left again.

A couple hours later, I got a text from Heidi saying I should tell Kristin that she was watching Across the Universe with her friends and was laughing her head off. So I told Kristin who got really mad and said Heidi was being mean, knowing Kristin wanted to see that movie and was doing something like a nyah nyah. Great, I thought. Heidi also texted Kristin that she was watching the movie and "What are you doing with your life?" That made Kristin even madder.

Well, Billy went and rented the movie and we sat down and watched it tonight while Heidi was at work. First of all, it's a terrific movie and in the beginning there was plenty to laugh at. And the father says to his dropping-out-of-college son, "What are you going to do with your life?" It crossed my mind that this was what Heidi was talking about...but Kristin is still pissed off.

So hopefully someday they'll be close like Anne and Edith are now.

No comments:

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over