Friday, May 16

Friday Sundries

May is diabetes awareness month! One thing I have often wondered: how do I count carbs in a meal I didn't make myself? For instance, I love casseroles! I can count my own if I make it myself by figuring out how much went into the making of it and the dividing by the portion sizes. But what about when I eat out?

For a typical casserole with potatoes, rice or noodles, meat, vegetables, and sauce, you can figure that each 1/2 cup of casserole has about 15 grams of carbohydrate (equal to one fruit or bread exchange). The number may be off a little, but it will be a close estimate. Check your blood glucose two hours after eating the casserole. If your reading is higher than you expect, your casserole probably had more carbohydrate calories than the estimate. Next time you have the same meal, adjust by taking more insulin or eating less of the casserole.


I don't know if this is true or not department but it sounds good:

ATM PIN NUMBER REVERSAL FOR ASSISTANCE

I did not know ATM's were set up this way, good to know!

If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your Pin # in reverse.

For example if your pin number is 1234 then you would put in 4321. The ATM recognizes that your pin number is backward's from the ATM card you placed in the machine. The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to help you.

This information was recently broadcast on FOX TV and it states that it is seldom used because people don't know it exists.

Please Pass this along to those you care about



Friday Fill-Ins
#72

1. There is absolutely NO way you can get me to eat liver!
2. Warm weather reminds me that summer is almost here!
3. I cannot live without my coffee.
4. Knitting and crocheting are two things I'd like to try.
5. When life hands you lemons make the best lemonade you can.
6. Visiting Grandma is my favorite childhood memory.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to reading, tomorrow my plans include fun with my grandson and Sunday, I want to relax!

Friday's Feast #191

Appetizer

What is the nearest big city to your home?
Probably Trenton

Soup

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest, how well do you keep secrets?
Nine and a half

Salad

Describe your hair (color, texture, length).
My hair is very dark brown, thick, and almost medium length

Main Course

What kind of driver are you? Courteous? Aggressive? Slow?
I'm a slow, cautious driver, more courteous than other drivers would like

Dessert

When was the last time you had a really bad week?
Ha! It just happened!

2 comments:

Nancy in PA said...

Bummer, the pin number thing is false, says snopes...

http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/pinalert.asp

Hope you guys have a good weekend!! Have fun with Little T!

KC and the Giggleman Kitties said...

Hi, stopped by to check on TB.
Saw the part about the reverse pin number and was surprised it was broadcast on Fox News. You can go to SNOPES.COM to see if things are true or false. I check on reverse ATM and it is false. I remembered this particular one because it seemed like such a good idea.
ML (Mary Lynn)

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over