Thursday, May 15

Thursday Thirteen #20: The Golden Rule in 13 Faiths & Religions



A few weeks ago, my therapist gave me a xeroxed sheet of paper showing the univerality of the golden rule. It is truly amazing how one concept can easily transfer over to so many philosophies and beliefs. After all the kindness everyone has shown to TB and me, I wanted to share it this week. Some of the references are probably going to be misspelled because I had a lot of trouble reading it.
What Thirteen Faiths Say About The Golden Rule


1. Christianity:: "In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is in the law and the prophets." Jesus, Matthew 7:12

2. Sikhism: I am a stranger to no one; and no one is a stranger to me. Indeed, I am a friend to all." Gura Granth Sahib, pg. 1299

3. Taoism: "Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain and your neighbor's boss as your own boss." Lao Tzu, T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien, 213-218

4. Confucianism: "One word which sums up the basis of all good conduct...loving kindness. Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself." Confucious, Analects 15.23

5. Buddhism "Treat not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful." The Buddha, Udana-Varga 5.18

6. Hinduism: "This is the sum of duty: do not do to others what would cause pain if done to you." Mahabharata 5:1517

7. Islam: "Not one of you truly believes until you wish for others what you wish for yourself." The Prophet Mohammed

8. Baha'i Faith: "Lay not on any soul a load that you would not wish to be laid upon you, and desire not for anyone the things you would not desire for yourself." Bahai'n'Hah, Gleanings

9. Judaism: "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. This is the whole Torah; all the rest is commentary." Hillel, Talmud, Shabbat 31a

10. Jainism: "One should treat all creatures in the world as one would like to be treated." Sutrakritanga

11. Zoroastrianism: "Do not do unto others whatever is injurious to yourself." Shayast-na-Shayast 13.29

12. Native American Spirituality: "We are as much alive as we keep the earth alive." Chief Dan George

13. Unitarianism: "We affirm and promote respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part." Unitarian principle



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



14 comments:

Kim said...

What an awesome Thursday Thirteen! It definately shows that, while practices may be different, core values are the same across religions and cultures!

Ivanhoe said...

It's amazing how the golden rule repeats itself in every religion. I wish that everybody would follow it, too :o) Have a great TT!

Nancy Lindquist-Liedel said...

Wicca: Harm none.

Every faith system, every thought system, every worldview has some version of this. It's fascinating how alike we all are, and yet how simple differences and xenophobia keep us from deep joy.


your autism awareness ribbon caught my eye. I have a wonderful (most of the time) son with autism.

Hootin Anni said...

so very interesting!!!!


My 13 this week is misnomers, can you think of any to add? Come by if you can.

gLaDieZz said...

Well, looks like there's a hint of similarities. =)

gLaDieZz

My Busy Life said...

Great list, you must have spent a lot of time putting that one together. Very interesting to say the least. I am up too.

SandyCarlson said...

This is the whole deal, isn't it? And if we find ourselves living by this rule, whatever way it's written, we don't have time to quarrel. Gotta love it!

God bless your day.

maggie said...

Wow, excellent, excellent, excellent 13! Such an awesome idea to start with and also very interesting, too. Pretty much sounds like we're all just supposed to not be jerks to each other no matter what our beliefs. Really, I loved this.

And all of the meows make me smile, too!

Toni said...

Like someone else said - we just need everyone to live by this. Think what a wonderful place it would be...

Happy TT

DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...

I know I shouldn't... 'cuz it's an excellent TT and extremely well thought out and thought provoking (and very true...)... but...

neighbor's boss

I think it's supposed to be "loss".

Hate to pick nits... and I feel awful... but I'm sure that's what it is.

cindy kay said...

Wow, that was interesting.

Calliope said...

Now *that* is an interesting idea for a T13. I think that I like the way that Judaism says it best. It's very forthright.

Happy TT!

Celticlibrarian
http://fremontlibraries.wordpress.com

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I love this. I'm less surprised to see it in so many religions now that I know how many cultures have stories of an ash girl named Cinderella.

It goes to show -- again -- the universality of some very basic human needs.

Tina@ SendChocolateNow said...

Very good reminder, truly.

Thanks for visiting my TT!

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over