Sunday, June 8

Nothing's easy today

Things haven't been this bad or stressful since my first husband Rich died. We received an intent to foreclose letter from the mortgage company which was a bit of a shock because we thought we were negotiating with them to try and get caught up. I went right into stressed out panic-mode but a couple of friends pointed out that it was probably just a form letter and that one department in the company doesn't necessarily communicate with the other.

When Rich died, there was an insurance policy and I initially invested most of it and kept working. I used my salary and a little of that insurance money to support the kids and me. When I met and married TB, we wanted a house. Our credit was really bad, though, and so I used the insurance money and he used his annuity to buy this house, make major improvements on it, furnish it and so on. All that money is in the house now.

It's a great house, too. We knocked down a bedroom wall to make a master bedroom suite. We modernized the kitchen and all the bathrooms and we added an upstairs half bath. There were three bedrooms upstairs but we split the largest one to make four. This is an ideal house, the house of our dreams, and we just don't want to lose it.

It's not just the house. Billy and Heidi do not make enough money to be able to support themselves. Kristin has two more years of high school. We have six cats, a bunny and a dog. What would happen to them all if we lose this house?

So this is another day when reality just smacks me in the face and knocks me down and I can't pretend that everything is just fine and post cute pictures.

What's happening isn't fair. TB and I have worked hard all our lives to provide for ourselves and our families. We've never asked for handouts, not that it would have helped any. Now that we are reaching out to various agencies for help, we have doors closing in our faces.

One agency requires that we have two months mortgage saved before they'll help with a month. If we had that, we wouldn't need help!

Another one requires that one of us be fully employed. We're both disabled but I am now actively looking for work anyway.

Another one says it doesn't matter that once TB gets surgery and gets back to work we can get caught up. What matters is that now we can't afford the payments and so we should put the house on the market.

That looks like our option. We're going to have to sell it and will we get enough out of it to start over? And what will happen to Billy, Heidi, and the pets? Will we be able to buy a new smaller house in Delaware (we sure can't afford NJ) where we could keep the pets? Or will our credit put stumbling blocks in our paths everywhere? And what will it do to Kristin to have to start her junior year in a strange place, without friends?

Now I'm going to go cry.

9 comments:

Daisy said...

This is a really difficult time. I hope that your mortgage company will work with you, because I think many people are finding themselves in this situation now. It would be far less costly for them to negotiate with you than to proceed with the foreclosure. I wish you the very best.

Andrew said...

I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it all better for you and myself. I am thinking of you through this and I pray for a good outcome. You are not alone and I care.

Victor Tabbycat said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. And I know how it hits you on Sunday, when everything is closed and you can't do anything. I sincerely hope the mortgage company will work with you. Do you have a banker or financial adviser you trust who you can talk to, just to brainstorm? My thoughts are with you!
Tabbymom Jen

Tiggie FOC said...

Hey...these are very tough times. Lots of us cats (including me) are listening in to discussions about challenging fincial situation not of their own making.

Today's paper had an article about how there is an agency forming to take the pets that are being abandoned by people when their house gets foreclosed. Can't take their pets to an apartment...

I'm purring and my people are praying for all of us who are facing finacial challenges. Like Andrew said, you are not alone, and things will work out. Maybe not right away or in a particularly easy way, but it WILL work out.

TexasPeach said...

I wish I knew what to say to help you. Having been where you are, I know it is not easy. When the ex was hurt and out of work for so long, we got so far behind. We worked with HUD...not a lot of help there but it did buy us some time. We ended up losing the house anyway. We moved down the street to my ex's mother's house. She had passed away a few months before the intent to foreclose note came and the ex was an only child and had inherited her house so we at least had some where to go. I will keep you in my prayers and hopefully you can work something out with the mortgage company.

Jans Funny Farm said...

Oh, no! No wonder you are so upset. Jan would be too. It's a terrible ting to happen to you, but as bad as it seems at this moment, please don't give up hope.

We hope this will have a happy ending.

purrs and tail wags

Nancy in PA said...

Praying for your meetings today... keep me posted!

Michelle said...

I am so sorry your family is having to go through this. You've all had a really stressful time of it lately and I pray that it all works out.

Like others have said, keep working with the mortgage company and whoever you are working with, be sure to mention any correspondence you get through the mail.

Please email me (michelleleestafford@gmail.com) or IM me (AOL mstff4564, Yahoo whencatsattackdotcom) if you want to talk. I wish there way some way I could help!

maggie said...

I have no solutions or even anything intelligent to say, but I am sorry to hear this, and I really do hope that somehow something works out for you. Just wanted you to know that.

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over