Thursday, July 31

Thursday Thirteen #29: Reasons I Have Mixed Feelings about Starting Vocational Training


Thirteen Reasons I Have Mixed Feelings About Starting Vocational Training


On Monday, I start vocational training to brush up my office skills. It's a six month training course and hopefully will end up getting me a job so I can go back to work. While my start date was far off, I didn't feel one way or the other about it but now that it's days away I'm alternating between being excited and scared. I'm hoping listing my feelings will help.

1. I will get to be around people again on a regular basis and not be so much of a hermit
2. I can walk during my lunch break
3. I will learn new skills as well as brush up on my old ones
4. This will help get me out of the house and away from my troubles
5. I will have something productive to do with my time
6. This will hopefully lead to a job and I can make more money on a job than by collecting disability
7. It will boost my self esteem
8. It's been six years since I've worked, can I get back into a daily routine like that again?
9. I have arthritis and other injuries in my hands, what if I can't handle the typing?
10. I've been determining my own break times, lunches and so on for six years, can I work with a supervisor?
11. It's too hot to go for a walk right now
12. What if the chairs are uncomfortable for my heavy self?
13. What if I get wiped out and need a nap?

Actually, I could go on and on but I'll stop there. Part of me is looking forward to starting Monday and the other part wants to call the whole thing off. I tell myself, this is just the evaluation portion of the training, no need to stress. This is where we determine if this is something I can do. I shouldn't worry. I should just relax and enjoy myself.

We'll see if I can convince myself to stop worrying.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



7 comments:

Melanie said...

I hope this helped! I am sure you will do great. The first day for anything can be overwhelming. You will probably look back and wonder why you were so anxious! God bless!

Toni said...

Hey good luck. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to make worrying go away but you listed a lot of positive things on your list. Any kind of change is scary but you can do it!!!

I am sure you will shine in your class!!!

Soul Pockets said...

It looks like this will be a positive thing for you. I wish you luck. I am sure it will turn out great.

Dawn said...

This should be a good thing! Try to enjoy and let whatever happens happen. :-)

storyteller said...

Changes like getting vocational training and/or returning to work after a time away do often produce ambivalent feelings, but I sounds as if you have some pluses to balance the minuses … and perhaps some ‘interestings’ as well. As for 'worry' ... I've given that up (along with 'guilt' because they're both huge stressors I don't need in my life) ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Gattina said...

That's the best thing you can do !! and don't worry you will get in right away, it's just like a bicycle once you learned it you never forget ! and for typing .... you type your text each day, so does it hurt ?? When I started working we had these mechanical typewriters that was awful for the hands ! But now it's so easy.

Jans Funny Farm said...

Yes, the anticipation of something new can be scary, but we hope you will enjoy it when you actually arrive to start it.

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over