Thursday, January 1

Catching Up: TB and Weight Loss Surgery



It's been a little over 7 weeks since TB had duodenal switch surgery and he's lost 96 pounds already! I took the pictures above when he'd lost 50 pounds. I took the pictures below about 4 days ago, when he was 96 pounds down.



He looks and feels better generally but it hasn't all been smooth sailing.

Sometimes he vomits after he eats certain solid foods. It might be that he wanted to try them too early although the doctor did say to see what he could tolerate. So far, it hasn't been meat. He can eat cottage cheese, yogurt, some fruits and vegetables that have been well chewed but is basically sticking to the protein shakes because when he gets overfull, he feels so uncomfortable.

Do they tell any one that gas is going to be a problem after surgery? Maybe it's in the fine print.

In spite of all that, TB feels so much better and is glad he made the decision to have the surgery. He's looking forward to suffering less pain with less weight pressing down on his back.

Tomorrow we go back to see the doctor. I am sure the doctor will be impressed with TB's loss.

I'm seeing a doctor at the same practice to discuss having a lapband put around my stomach. I've been struggling with the same 10 pounds for years it seems and can't seem to keep off very much weight. I'll lose 30 pounds, get stuck and then gradually regain it all back. I did a lot of reading about the lapband and although it will mean major changes in my lifestyle and eating habits too, I think I can deal with it. My weight loss won't be as fast as TB's but that's okay with me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations to TB! That's impressive.
I need to do SOMETHING!

Everycat said...

Gosh, that's certainly a lot of weight to lose. Best of luck to TB for the rest of his journey. Also to you, with your resolutions and the lap band if you decide to have it.

We wish you a very Happy New Year

Whicky Wuudler

Gattina said...

Wow ! that's already a big difference ! he looks much younger too !!
It's really worthwhile to suffer a bit for such a good result !

Anonymous said...

Ah, tucking in the shirt...a sign you're really on your way :D

I'm a DSer (3 3/4 years out). It gets better. I can eat anything (including meat 4-5 times a week). TB will too.

Yes, the gas is real. Esp. if you eat sugar, a lot of fat, etc. Many DSers take probiotics to help with the smell, though.

As for the band, good luck with it. You will lose more slowly, but if you are conscientious, you will lose. Just research it thoroughly b/c some foods slide right by making it easy to overeat (e.g. chocolate, ice cream) and others can be impossible to eat. Some bandsters I know can't eat white meat chicken and/or bread (they can do toast very crumbled up). Also, you'll need to go for fills regularly. It's a great tool, though, and I wish you weill.

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over