Thursday, August 12

Thursday Stuff

Grace in Small Things #163


1. A cloudy day (with some rain) brings welcome relief from the heat and humidity
2. Three movie rentals (free) from the library, yay!
3. Orientation to the community college yesterday was fun because I went with Kristin
4. A long afternoon nap
5. The people who volunteer at the St. Ann's pantry are so dedicated!

Thursday Thirteen
Thursday Thirteen #73: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien (movie vs. book)


I think I read this book all the way through when I was a teenager but I'm not sure! I remember liking it but being so confused that I didn't go on with the other two. Now I have the movies to help me!

1. The movies help me visualize "bad guys" like the Orcs and Uruk-hais. The first time I read the book I couldn't imagine what these creatures looked like.

2. This book focuses on a group of nine with a nearly impossible mission. Eight accompany the ring bearer who is supposed to destroy this evil ring

3. There's a lot of singing and poetry in the book, much more than ever was in the movie

4. Nothing seems to go right for the travellers--they really do have a difficult journey, especially before they meet up with the ranger Aragorn

5. Tom Bombadil was an interesting character who saved the hobbits but didn't make any appearance at all in the movie

6. His reaction to the evil ring was very curious

7. Some of the storytelling gets bogged down or somewhat tedious--just my opinion

8. Some of the elves who seem so prominent in the movie aren't very in the book

9. The book lacks the comic relief the movie had. You really need a little humor to break up a lot of gloom and doom.

10. Gandalf is awesome in both book and movie!

11. Some of the changed scenes in the movie worked better and were more effective. Example: after Boromir (one of the fellowship) tried to take the ring from ring bearer Frodo, Aragorn approaches and restores Frodo's trust--not everyone will try to get the ring. In the book, however, Frodo runs off and away from everyone else.

12. Sam, Frodo's best friend, is the same loveable character in both book and movie!

13. I picked up the second book for the first time ever! I never did read it when I was a teenager.

Booking Through Thursday


Have your reading choices changed over the years? Or pretty much stayed the same? (And yes, from childhood to adulthood we usually read different things, but some people stick to basically the same kind of book their entire lives, so…)

Oh, my reading choices have definitely changed over the years! When I was young, I read a lot of animal (i.e. Lad: A Dog) stories and biographies. Over the years, I've moved from genre to genre and interest to interest. I've been on binges: science fiction, mystery, thrillers, and horror. I've read dozens of true crime stories and other non-fiction. I tend to prefer historical fiction right now but wait a month, that'll probably change!

1 comment:

Nessa said...

I read them when I was a teenager too. It may be time to read them again too.

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over