Friday, December 31

Trying to catch up

I knew I hadn't updated in ages but hadn't realized how long it's been!

Going back to school ended up being much more demanding than I thought but it was worth it. I still feel wiped out though!

Finals began December 15th. I found out all my grades right before Christmas and it was a very nice gift! I earned 4 A's and a B+. A couple of things I learned: I'm not too old to go back to school and can retain information in my brain most of the time. I still have my fibro days but there weren't enough of them to throw me off completely. Another thing I learned is that I can still write stories well. My instructor wanted me to try and get one of them published so that's something I want to work on for the New Year. I learned I can sort of teach myself when I have an instructor who's very disorganized. Most of all, I felt challenged and stimulated by these classes.

From finals, I went right to trying to prep for Christmas. I didn't have much time to devote to decorating or cards or baking or wrapping or any of that stuff while school was going on. If I thought I was going to be able to sit back and relax after finals, I was sure wrong! I probably could have let go of some of these things--like Christmas cards--but I just wasn't ready to do that and so I didn't.

Now, though, I sort of feel like a popped balloon. I keep telling myself there's things I should be doing but my body and brain are saying "uh uh". I decided to listen to my body and that part of my brain saying "uh uh" and am just resting. I read a little, I nap a lot and I just have been "vegging out" since Christmas.

The new semester starts in about three weeks. My batteries should be recharged by then.

TB's been suffering a lot and I worry about him. The pain meds don't seem to be helping very well. He has this issue with his hip now. He needs a shot using a fluoroscopic machine. We were supposed to go on the 27th but then there was this massive snow storm and so it was put off until January 3.

The doctors don't seem to be sure what's going on with his hip. An Xray seemed to show a foreign body (like a piece of arthritis) floating around. He had a CAT scan of his hip and one of the surgeons that looked at it thought he had a torn cartilage.

Why aren't they doing surgery to correct the problem? I don't get it. I don't get the explanation--that TB's baseline pain medical management and fibromyalgia makes the prognosis not hopeful. The surgeon wanted him to put up with the pain until he can't stand it anymore. Well...it's at that point now!

It looks like we're getting a loan modification after all from Bank of America. TB got the news over the phone just before Christmas but they've told us so many stories that I didn't believe it. I wanted to see it in writing and the paperwork just got here. We have a three month trial modification period starting in February. I am cautiously thrilled. I guess I still don't trust the bank and have heard other stories of the modification being cancelled capriciously. We'll see.

The three kids are still hanging in with us. They're all in school full time, working part time and right now not in a position to be able to live on their own.

The gang is doing great! Is the cold winter the reason they've all become extra snuggly lately?

So that's the major stuff that's been going on around here since I blogged last.

Best wishes for a happy and safe New Year!

No comments:

Grace In Small Things

Blog Archive

Bloggers 50 & Over